10.22.2008

"The World Serious..."

As Bugs Bunny would say is upon us! However, I am not that into it. I am trying to cheer, for my wife, and in-laws sake for Philadelphia, as the Phillies are playing the Tampa Bay (Formerly Devil) Rays at Tropicana Field. Now, folks familiar to me will know that I went to college at Temple University in Philly. I found it a fun, but tremendously UNDERWHELMING town. This is something that I like to remind my friend Mary about all the time! Nonetheless, I will root for the Phillies, to keep everything mellow on the home and in-law front. Why not, right?

Interestingly, the Tampa Bay Rays, have a Japanese infielder named Akinori Iwamura. I've always been fascinated by the idea of the foreign player playing baseball in America. I know the Japanese have a long history of baseball in their own country, but to play here? In a strange land? How does the players (there are several of 'em in the majors now) live? Do they constantly travel with interpreters? I guess the team has to pay them too, right? Do they try to learn English at all? In a parallel sense, former NY Mets Manager Bobby Valentine now coaches in Japan, has learned Japanese, and loves living there!

Sadly, in MMA news, we saw Elite XC go out of business this week. They had very few good fights, and they promoted that Kimbo Slice farce guy which pissed a MMA purist like me off to no end. Apparently they ran up a $55 million dollar deficit in under 2 years! Crazy, huh?.

Looking forward to seeing Anderson Silva fighting on the UFC card this weekend! One thing about "The Spider", he does not play around. He goes for the kill, either to submit, or knock you out. I've never seen an mma fighter so awesome!

The election news keeps on getting better and better. Huffington Post is saying how the NY Times Sunday Magazine will have a big article about the disintegration of the McCain Campaign, and the "Schizophrenic" Leadership of Steve Schmidt! I LOVE IT!!!! I truly will be working for the Weekend now!!! LOL

1 comment:

kaylynuke said...

Don't know specifically about sports people, but in Japan most schools require their students to take many years of English now. Most young people we encountered there spook at least a small amount of decent English.