7.14.2012

I think that I am done w/ Louie

Louis C.K. as Woody Allen?
I started out watching Louis C.K.'s show on FX w/ alot of excitement. Both V and I LOVED Louie.  We'd laugh at C.K's on screen version of himself, his exploits, and his fascination w/ the way the urban cowboys and cowgals who live in NYC live on a day to day basis.  For me, the core of the show was Louie trying to juggle being a Dad, a comedian, and someone who is neurotic all in one jittery, confused bundle of energy.

Critics of course, dug the show.  After all, it was funny!! However,  somewhere along the way, I feel C.K. lost his direction, or started to believe his own press clippings.  It, (the show) got indulgent, and forgot what what made it so good: it was incredibly funny in a subversive way.  It began to forget comedy, and head towards something else.  I have nothing w/ episodes that are serious. Comedies can transition to "Dramedies" from time to time,after all.

We'd watch an episode where Doug Stanhope announced he was going to commit suicide.  Ok, fine.  then, an episode where Louie had his niece move in w/ him when his sister wasn't qualified enough to care for her daughter.  Neither of these interesting storylines were ever mentioned again.  The show just began to seem less about comedy, and more about New York City, and the isolation someone who lives there can feel.  In 2 words: No Laughing.

This is all territory that other filmakers have attempted;  this is not new ground.  V would turn to me and say :  "We better start laughing soon.  I appreciate what he's doing, but I want to laugh while watching this show."  I think the  end came for the Sincoff's with this past episode.


In it, we get Louie developing a bromance w/ a Cuban lifeguard.  He promptly takes Louie on a tour of a "hidden" Miami, one that is far, far removed from the glitz of South Beach.... Needless to say it's picturesque, needless to say Louie learns to love a different  Miami.  However, there was not one laugh in the whole thing.  It's sad, because I think Louis C.K. is an incredible comedian, but if someone can have TOO ambitious a show it's this one.  C'mon Louie, start making me laugh again! 

No comments: