4.28.2012

Old People! What's up w/ them!!!?

It's Saturday.  Having a really really really nice day. The family and I went on a nice hike. Toby dug it.We checked out butterflies,AND the St. John's River. You can't beat that, right?  I wish we  had time to explore more of the area; Castaway Island Preserve.  Pretty cool place. Pretty awesome to get away from The City, and not even leave the city!!
So, on to old people...(or should I say, "old person").  For ages, and ages, my Dad has been saying "let me take you out to Dinner".... "I want to take you out to Dinner"....  "You always treat me , why can't I take you to Dinner?" etc.etc.etc.  Nice sentiment.. Right??   A true passing of the torch, of one generation, a member of "The Greatest Generation" reaching out to a younger, perhaps less accomplished bunch of peeps.     
Dad, that sounds like a great idea!! Where do you want to go... some new Jacksonville hotspot? Some hip, underground off the beaten path bistro??...

Nope... I want to go to The Olive Garden....  Um..... what??? :)  Out of  all the restaurants.... from classic cuisine type places, to family type places.... THAT'S where you wnt to go???
I guess that Dad wanted, because that is where I just found myself eating  on a Saturday night.  In fact, ONE Olive Garden was so busy, and we were unable to get into it to eat... SO we drove 15 minutes to go to ANOTHER Olive Garden!!  Gotta love it right? The food was edible, and it was fine... however I don't need to go to another one for another 15 years or so....  Once you hit the age of 15 or so.. I don't have the desire to hit a chain restaurant!!

Not to mention that on the way to the car; Dad had long sleeve jacket on.... It was not exactly arctic temperatures outside! It was 90 degrees outside, and my Pops has a jacket on....man, where is the glamor, the excitement, the "Gravitas" of growing older?? I certainly don't see it...

I'm not saying that I wan't to die young exactly; I'm just saying that I think only Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis,Jr. got growing older down pat. Yeah, they didn't take care of themselves; but they kept their fashion sense, and hipness to the end.

I bet they never even stepped foot in an Olive Garden, btw:)

No comments: