4.20.2019

I reflect all the time because I'm a Mushy Nudnik

So, a while ago HBO announced they would no longer televise boxing after something like 45 years. Huge announcement. Big time statement for television and internet streaming type networks. ESPN got all these fighters assigned to exclusive contracts and will pay 'em a gazillion $ to fight on streaming platforms... new streaming platforms...blah blah blah. I don't like it. I want my boxing on my cable. And I will share why because I'm reflective:

Watching boxing was one of the things that bonded me with my Father. While I loved my Dad (and I'm sure; he loved me) he was a difficult guy to get along with.  There was always something to argue about when it came to Dad and I. Stuff like:

  • Ethan your cholesterol is too high!
  • Ethan, you haven't been going to the gym enough! 
  • Ethan, why are you dating that girl!?
  • Ethan, why do you make stupid decisions!?
 So the thing with Dad was there was always love, and fun, but on his terms. That was just the guy he was. I'm not saying there weren't good times, they were just confusing and good. Anyway, I digress...boxing...

There was this one night, I came home (i was in my mid 20's, post college, living at home. No $, no job, etc.) My Father is sitting there in front of the TV like an inch away from it because he was deaf. He's got Spanish (Univision) TV blaring. He didn't speak Spanish. He looks at me and takes his glasses off - - I instantly know he has something serious to say, when he took his glasses off it was on like Donkey Kong.
"I want you to listen to me for a moment, will you just listen to me for a moment, Ethan?"
I said I would listen. My question about why he was watching Spanish television was dismissed with a wave of his Talmudic hand.

"Listen this is Boxing from the LA Forum. The fights are fantastic, and the fighters are just out of this world. It will blow you way like nothing you've seen before, trust me."
 I was skeptical but decided to hang in there when Dad said the following:
"You know how we go to theatre, to Broadway all the time? Well, this is theatre like nothing you've ever seen. It's Shakespeare. Passion like nothing I've ever seen before. Good against Evil, and more. So listen to me, please, please watch it with me."
 And wouldn't you know it, he was right? I was blown away. And from that Univision Moment, I discovered a new passion, I realized saying "That guy has a lot of heart", and "Fighting in a phone booth"were compliments of the highest type in the Sincoff Family."

And with this (now mutual) love of boxing; Dad and I had something we would not fight about.  There was no discussing of my weight, or my cholesterol, or my choice of relationships, or spending.... there was this silence on the phone, as the wheels turned in his brain down here in Florida, and in my head up in Jersey....trying to find something in common to not argue about, to be in unison on......

"Hey isn't that devastating body puncher from _______ (Mexico City, Puebla, Argentina, etc.) fighting tonight? That's going to be good, don't you think?" 
And instantly,we were in agreement. Of course there were the late night phone calls during the fights where we would shout at each other, and voicemails where when I was out on the town, my father would scream about what I was missing...

So, simply put, Boxing on HBO was a very special thing that Dad and I shared. When we talked boxing (and politics, too to be fair), We connected on it, there was only love and respect.  

That's why not having boxing on HBO means the end of something, much like Dad not being around anymore.

Dad was a good guy. He tried. He had alot of heart, you know?
 

No comments: